Congratulations, you just closed on your new home! After you recover from your celebration, it’s important to take care of a few things. If “no worries, no worries, no worries” was your mantra as a renter, “maintain, maintain, maintain” should be your new one. Preventative maintenance is the best way to keep your home in great shape and it starts upon taking ownership.
- Change the locks or rekey all exterior entrances for improved safety.
- Check that all windows and doors are secure.
- Change batteries in all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. If needed, install detectors where needed.
- Create a plan of action in the event of a fire. What is the exit strategy for each room?
- Review your home inspection report for items to repair or maintain first.
- Look for safety hazards in and around the house and repair immediately.
- Know the location of your main shut-offs for plumbing, heating, and electrical systems.
Get it done now and you’ll have plenty of time to relax after mowing the lawn this weekend. Enjoy your
new home for years to come!